Thursday, July 11, 2019

Book Launch Q&A: Shami Stovall, Author of 'Knightmare Arcanist' @GameOverStation @pumpupyourbook


Shami Stovall relies on her BA in History and Juris Doctorate to make her living as an author and history professor in the central valley of California. She writes in a wide range of fiction, from crime thrillers to fantasy to science-fiction. Stovall loves reading, playing video games, entertaining others with stories, and writing about herself in the third person.







After your book was released, what was the first thing you did when getting ready for your book launch?

The first thing I do whenever I prepare for a book launch is make a checklist. I try to include review sites, Booktube people, promotion websites, and anything else that would help get the word out there.

After that, what was your next step?

The next step is following through! It’s a lot of work to make a successful book launch, and every step to be checked off the list. For KNIGHTMARE ARCANIST, I went to tons of reviewers and asked if they’d be willing to read my novel. So many of them said yes! I’m super excited.

Did you ever consider using a PR agency to help you promote your book or did you prefer the DIY route?

I know a few people who run PR agencies, and I’ve asked for their prices a few times over the years. While it’s tempting, I think I want to wait until I have lots of books out there before spending that kind of cash on a PR firm. They do a good job—and can make amazing deals—but DIY works for me right now. I’m even a best-selling author, all through my own hard work, so I’m a little hesitant to let someone else have the reins!

Were finding reviews a top priority for you and, if yes, how did you approach that?

Like I said, I reached out to a lot of people. People on Youtube are usually down to receive an ARC of a novel. I’ve also used NetGalley before (which is a service major publishers use to get earlier reviews). You post a novel and let people request it for pre-release reviews.

Did you have other books you offered for free in order to help sell your present book?

I’ve never offered any of my books for free, but I have sold them at .99 on many occasions. The low price I think is fair to tempt people into buy my stuff. And if they like it, they can move onto all my other works!

Did you set up booksignings and, if so, how did that work for you?

Yes, I’ve attended many book signings. I tend to draw caricatures as well as sign, so lots of people approach me to ask about the book, ask about the drawings inside the book, and then end up reading enough to get invested. I always sell out at signings. 

Any tips for those authors wanting to set up a successful book launch?

My biggest tip would be to organize everything at least a month or two ahead of time. Line up promotions, make sure people have plenty of time to read and review, and then sit back and relax while it all happens.

Of course, no author I know ever relaxes around release day, LOL. Still, it’s better to keep calm. That way, if a problem arises, you can handle it with grace and speed.

I hope you all will consider checking out KNIGHTMARE ARCANIST!




In a world populated by mythical creatures, those who bond with them are known as arcanists—their magic stemming from the connection they forged. Phoenix arcanists gain flames and healing, unicorn arcanists speak with horses and manipulate poison, or even basilisk arcanists who control flesh and stone.

But those wishing to bond must first prove themselves.

Gravedigger Volke Savan, desperate to leave his tiny home island and impress the most beautiful girl he’s ever known, breaks every tradition of the bonding ceremony just to become an arcanist. But when the only creature who will bond with him has a sinister requirement, Volke is put to the ultimate test of worth.

A fast-paced flintlock fantasy for those who enjoy How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell, Unsouled (Cradle Series) by Will Wight, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon


1 comment: