Book Launch Q&A: Duane Byrge, Author of 'The Red Carpet at Cannes' @byrge_duane @pumpupyourbook



Duane Byrge has written for The Hollywood Reporter for more than 20 years. Starting out as a secretary for the entertainment industry newspaper while he was a graduate student at the University of Southern California, Byrge rose to serve in various capacities, including news editor and senior film critic. He serves as a consultant to the Chicago International Film Festival, where he brought Halle Berry to Chicago in 2001 for a career tribute.
A Wisconsin native, Byrge holds a Ph.D. in Communications, with an emphasis in Cinema, from the University of Southern California, where he has served as a lecturer. His Ph.D. dissertation was the basis for the book, “The Screwball Comedy Films,” which he co-authored. The book was re-released in hardcover in 1991 by McFarland Publishing and re-released in paperback in 2001 as part of the publication’s Classic Series.
Currently an assistant professor of Mass Communications at Virginia State University, Byrge teaches journalism, motion picture history and appreciation, and mass communications. He is working on a book on movie producers, “Before the Shooting Begins,” which will be published by the University of California, Berkeley Press.





After your book was released, what was the first thing you did when getting ready for your book launch?

I hired a top book publicist, Charles Barrett, who has a lifetime of experience in  the entertainment media world. He is an expert publicist, and has insights and connections that a traditional publisher's marketing arm does not have.


After that, what was your next step?

Did you do anything different to spice up your website in lieu of your upcoming book release?
Yes, I inserted great photos of the site of my book, the Cannes Film Festival.  My  site is now visually  enticing, apt for Cannes. My publicist and I also  sent out complimentary  copies to leading figures in the movie world, in anticipation of strong testimonials.

Did you ever consider using a PR agency to help you promote your book or did you prefer the DIY route?

Yes, I hired a leading book  publicist, who has unmatched publicity experience in the world I  am writing about, movies. My publicist, Charles Barrett, has more insights and experience into the movie-world that I write about than any marketer at a traditional publishing house.

Were finding reviews a top priority for you and, if yes, how did you approach that?

Yes, my publicist  is an expert regarding book  reviews. I am proud of the writing and want it reviewed as widely as possible. My  publicist, Charles Barrett, is sending it to the top book reviewers. The early review returns are terrific.

What are your views on social media for marketing your book?
I feel fortunate to  have finished my book at this time in publishing history. I  plan to marshal all the opportunities that social-media offers to promote my book. The social-media. Universe will allow me to reach an international  audience, and through  my  own connections on Linkedin.com and Facebook, coupled with my publicist's expertise, I can reach a huge audience.

What social media has worked best for you?

Too early  to tell.

Did you write a press release and do you think it worked for you?

Yes, my publicist has crafted a terrific press release for me that has  already  drawn national attention. 



Veteran film critic Duane Byrge takes readers on a behind-the-scenes thrill ride at the legendary Cannes Film Festival in his new mystery, THE RED CARPET AT CANNES.

A longtime movie writer and editor for the Hollywood Reporter, Byrge turns to the thriller genre to tell the tale of Ryan Hackbart, who, like Byrge, covers the Cannes Film Festival for the fictional
Hollywood Times.

Hackbart finds himself in the middle of a Hitchcock-style mystery as he becomes the prime suspect in the murder of the lead actress of the festival's opening-night film. Interrogated but released, his passport is confiscated, and he is hounded by the world media. He must solve the murder before the culprit kills him or the police arrest him.

Aided by his female companion, Delisha, Ryan's investigation thrusts Hackbart into the underbelly of the most glamorous film festival in the world and opens his eyes to what lies underneath the glitz and glamour.

After a long, successful career as a film journalist, Byrge decided to change to the novel format to tell his story.

“You can reveal truths within a novel that you can’t convey with the ‘facts’ of a news story,” Byrge explains. “It allows me to flesh out the full story of the events I have covered.”

THE RED CARPET AT CANNES will please mystery fans and film buffs alike. It's a five-star travelogue straight into a celebrity universe of dazzling parties, high-end cuisine, superstar celebrities, high fashion, and movie-world politics.
.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment