Thursday, June 13, 2019

Book Launch Q&A: Greg Messel, Author of 'Dreams That Never Were' @GregMessel @pumpupyourbook

Greg Messel grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and lives on the Puget Sound in Edmonds, Washington, with his wife, Jean DeFond. Dreams That Never Were is his 11th novel and is a historical fiction account of a young reporter caught up in the events surrounding the assassination of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. Greg has also written a series of mystery novels set in San Francisco in the 1950s. He has lived in Oregon, Washington, California, Wyoming and Utah and has always loved writing, including stints as a reporter, columnist and news editor for a daily newspaper. Greg won a Wyoming Press Association Award as a colunist and has contributed articles to various magazines.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

 


After your book was released, what was the first thing you did when getting ready for your book launch? 

I’ve been working on publicity with a PR firm to try to generate as much attention as possible ahead of the release. My book is released on June 6 and for the first time I set up a pre-order on Amazon. I’m not sure how much business that has generated but it
takes a whole variety of efforts to connect with readers.  I’ve done five interviews with print and radio shows. I’m also doing interviews with bloggers. I’m anticipating a busy week ahead prior to the release on Thursday. I’ve also made PDFs of the book available for early review. I now have a few boxes of books available. The last thing you want to happen is to miss an opportunity because you don’t have any books. 



After that, what was your next step?  

I now have a few boxes of books available. The last thing you want to happen is to miss an opportunity because you don’t have any books. 





Did you do anything different to spice up your website in lieu of your upcoming book release? 

Yes I had the programming person who helps me, put the art and information on the neew books on my wib site so it is ready to go. 



Did you ever consider using a PR agency to help you promote your book or did you prefer the DIY route?  

I’ve done both but this time I feel like I’m pulling out all the stops. I’m working with a PR agency in New York City and is has been very worthwhile so far. 



Were finding reviews a top priority for you and, if yes, how did you approach that?  

I think reviews just are a natural product of the distribution and attention the book receives. I would like to see several reviews but they can bea two edged sword.  Good reviews are wonderful but I try to not get too focused on just reviews. 



What are your views on social media for marketing your book? 

I guess so. I do it because I’m told it helps. I get lots of feedback on Facebook and some on Twitter. How many books this effort has ever sold is questionable. 



What social media has worked best for you? 

Facebook



Did you write a press release and do you think it worked for you? 

I have my virtual book tour and my PR person write those 



Did you revamp your author’s page at Amazon in any way to prepare for the launch (https://authorcentral.amazon.com/)? 

Absolutely



Did you have other books you offered for free in order to help
sell your present book? 

I haven't yet. I may later but I’ve not been a big fan to free books. 



Did you set up booksignings and, if so, how did that work for you?   

After we generate more publicity I plan to have book signings. 



Did you create a book trailer?  

Yes. I think it’s very good.  Watch it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiRfzd-RxE&feature=youtu.be



Did you time your book launch around a certain holiday? 

The book is launching on June 6 because it is the 51st anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy’s death. 



What was the best money you ever spent on your book launch? 

I hope it’s the money I’m spending now



 


“Some men see things as they are and say, ‘Why? I dream of things that never were and say, ‘Why not?” — Robert F. Kennedy

June 5, 1968:  Senator Robert F. Kennedy, then a candidate for President and victorious in the California primary, was mortally wounded by assassin Sirhan Sirhan as he exited the ballroom at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.  Innocent bystanders were also wounded, including young and idealistic Alex Hurley, a San Francisco reporter.

Swept up in the turbulent events of 1968, Alex is captivated both by the Presidential race and by Vietnam, where he had recently been a war correspondent.  His time in Vietnam had cost him his marriage and bitterly separated him from his own family.

Recovering from his wounds—physical and emotional—a new and surprising love restores his hope.
Part political thriller, part romance, Alex Hurley’s story in “Dreams That Never Were,” captures the turmoil of the day, set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War and America’s wrenching response to it. This novel is the latest historical fiction from award winning author Greg Messel.



 

Amazon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment