Monday, February 3, 2020

Book Launch Q&A: Eric Meade, Author REFRAMING POVERTY: NEW THINKING AND FEELING ABOUT HUMANITY'S GREATEST CHALLENGE #booklaunch @reframingpvrty @pumpupyourbook

Eric Meade is a futurist, speaker, and consultant serving nonprofits, foundations, and government agencies. He teaches graduate courses on strategic planning and social innovation at American University’s School of International Service in Washington, DC. He lives in Superior, CO.

Website  → http://www.ericmeade.com

Twitter  → http://www.twitter.com/reframingpvrty

Facebook  → http://www.facebook.com/reframingpovrty


About the Book:
REFRAMING POVERTY: NEW THINKING AND FEELING ABOUT HUMANITY’S GREATEST CHALLENGE
Eric Meade
Canyon House Press
212 pages
Nonfiction

We typically view poverty as a technical problem we can solve with more money, more technology, and more volunteers. But there is an adaptive side to the problem of poverty as well. Reframing Poverty directs our attention to the emotional and often unconscious mindsets we bring to this issue. Meade’s approach is as unique as it is challenging. Rather than trite tips or tricks, he offers a series of nested insights from diverse fields like political science, physics, complexity theory, and psychology. Most importantly, he provides a path of self-exploration for those eager to become the kind of people who can successfully navigate the tensions of a world in need.

Pick up your copy at Amazon → https://amzn.to/2PryNan 




 
After your book was released, what was the first thing you did when getting ready for your book launch?

I started choosing a venue. I knew I wanted someplace cozier than a bookstore, and that I wanted the event itself to be special. I thought of the O St. Mansion in DC, which is a funky row of connected townhouses near Dupont Circle in DC. The place is full of unique rooms, priceless memorabilia, and hidden doors and passageways, all of which creates a great vibe for “reframing.” There was something a bit ironic about holding a book launch for a book called Reframing Poverty in a venue with “mansion” in its name, but anyone who’s been to the O St. Mansion would know how great a fit it was.

After that, what was your next step?

The next step was putting together the invitation list. I had lived in the DC area until about a year and
a half before the book launch, so this was a great opportunity to see old friends. I also invited people I did not know as well, but who would likely be interested in the content. So the book launch created some new relationships for me.

Did you write a press release and do you think it worked for you?

I did write a press release, but my sense is that the media aren’t interested in a book launch on its own. I think it is more useful to link the book to current events that are newsworthy in their own right.


What was the best money you ever spent on your book launch?

The best money I spent was probably the cost of the venue (the O St. Mansion), which was very reasonable. I really saw my book launch as an opportunity to celebrate my accomplishment of publishing the book, and to do so in a nice place with good friends and some new acquaintances. Getting together in a cozy but funky setting conducive to great conversations was a big part of the launch’s success.

Any tips for those authors wanting to set up a successful book launch?

I did a brief (around 20-min) sit-down book talk as part of the launch. It included short passages from the book and Q&A from the audience. The feedback I got was that people really appreciated the Q&A, since that’s where my excitement about the book really came through. So if I were doing it again, I would probably read less from the book and get to the Q&A more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment