Tuesday, April 27, 2021

5 Questions with Amy Rivers, Author of COMPLICIT

Amy Rivers writes novels, short stories and personal essays. She is the Director of Northern Colorado Writers. Her novel All The Broken People was recently selected as the Colorado Author Project winner in the adult fiction category. She's been published in We Got This: Solo Mom Stories of Grit, Heart, and Humor, Flash! A Celebration of Short Fiction, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Nurses, and Splice Today, as well as Novelty Bride Magazine and ESME.com. She was raised in New Mexico and now lives in Colorado with her husband and children. She holds degrees in psychology and political science, two topics she loves to write about.

Q: What’s inside the mind of a suspense author?

A: When I’m writing, I start to think I might be deranged, but then I attend a genre-related writing conference, and it turns out that most of my colleagues in the suspense genre are like minded. Basically, we’re thinking of creative way to kill and torture people, both physically and psychologically. Aside from that, however, we are often thinking about social issues that plague our society: violence, oppression, etc. We write for entertainment, but we also write about some of the heaviest topics that plague human existence. In other words, we are a cheery bunch…great at parties.  

Q: Tell us why readers should buy Complicit. 

A: Two reasons. 1) Complicit is a little bit different than other psychological thrillers you’ve read. It will show you the different ways victims react to trauma and help shed some light on the ways in which trafficking can happen right out in the open without being noticed. 2) Kate and Tilly Medina are some freaking amazing women. They’re difficult. They’re obnoxious. And there will probably be times you want to smack one of them, but over the course of the series, they are going to tackle some pretty terrible crimes like the superheroes that they are. We hope you’ll come along for the ride. 

Q: What makes a good psychological suspense novel? 

A: Any good novel, psychological suspense or otherwise, starts with good characters. At least that’s true for me. I don’t necessarily need to like the characters, and sometimes I might downright hate them—especially in this genre when people can so cruel and devoid of redeeming qualities—but I certainly want to try and understand them. I want to find some way to relate to them. I think this is very true of psychological suspense because part of building and maintaining suspense is wrapped up in caring enough about the characters to agonize for them and with them. 

Q: Where can readers find out more about you and your work?

A: My website, amyrivers.com, is a good place to start. I’m on Facebook, Instagram, & Patreon. I love hearing from readers and in the next few months, I’ll be working on a new audio series that will probably give away way too many of my secrets, but ought to be fun anyway. 

Q: What has writing taught you?

A: I’ve learned a lot about myself by writing. In terms of goals, I’ve had to have some really honest conversations with myself and acknowledge both my strengths and weaknesses to figure out what I really hope to accomplish and how I want to get here. I’ve learned a lot about the human condition and have had time to think about what drives people’s behaviour, both on the page and it real life. Most importantly, I’ve learned that I have the perseverance and tenacity to be part of this crazy industry. I love what I do and I am thankful for the opportunity to tell my stories. 

ABOUT THE BOOK

 

A tangled web of deception and duplicity where predators are shielded by respectability and no one is safe

 

Kate Medina had been working as a forensic psychologist and loving every minute until a violent attack left her shaken to the core. Retreating to her hometown where it's safe, she accepts a job where the prospect of violence is slim to none. As a high school psychologist, Kate tends to the emotional needs of the students. It's not the career she envisioned for herself.

 

Five years later, a student disappears, leaving the school in crisis and Kate at the helm of another traumatic event. Roman Aguilar, the lead detective, reaches out to Kate for assistance. Kate's position at the school and her training make her an ideal ally, but her complicated relationship with Roman puts them at odds. 

 

When the girl's body is found, changing the focus of the investigation to homicide, Kate finds herself in the middle of a situation she never anticipated. What started as her desire to help puts Kate directly in the crosshairs of an enemy who remains largely in shadows. As her past and present collide, Kate is dragged into the middle of a dangerous game where only one thing is clear-no one can be trusted.


Genre: psychological thriller/suspense 

Author: Amy Rivers

Website: www.amyrivers.com                      

Publisher: Compathy Press

Purchase link:  www.compathypress.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment